Earth Energy Systems, Inc. assists the project engineer in selecting
the appropriate equipment and the most efficient loop design.
Geoexchange Fact Sheet for Engineers*
- Geoexchange systems provide the engineer with optimal design flexibility
because the roof and landscape are free of chillers, air handlers and other
- With geoexchange systems, boiler rooms can be eliminated and the size of
mechanical rooms can be reduced.
- Because geoexchange systems are so flexible, they are ideal for renovating
buildings with historical merit. One successful strategy is to use smaller heat
pumps dispersed in closets, basements, and attics to provide space
conditioning and ventilation with minimal ducting. Additionally, there are no
unsightly condensers on the roof or grounds to distract from the building's
- The elimination of outdoor or rooftop equipment means the geoexchange
system is not exposed to temperature extremes, dirt, pollution or vandalism.
- For every hour of use, a geoexchange system produces one pound less CO2
than a conventional HVAC system.
- Geoexchange systems do not require a flue or chimney. And since there is
no on-site combustion, there is less chance of fire, and no chance at all of
carbon monoxide spilling back into the building. According to the
Environmental Protection Agency, geoexchange is the most energy-efficient,
environmentally clean, and cost-effective space conditioning system
* Courtesy of IGSHPA (International Ground Source Heat Pump